On March 20, the Florida Film Festival announced the slate of films that will be playing at this year’s event. The festival will show 185 films from 41 countries, out of which 155 have premiere status. There are plenty of films to be excited about from favorites that have been touring the festival circuit to new films that will be making their debut in Orlando.
“We are incredibly excited about our program this year,” commented Matthew Curtis, Florida Film Festival Programming Director. “More films than ever will be making their Florida debut at the festival, and we could not be more excited about introducing these talented filmmakers and presenting such an extraordinary and diverse group of films to our audience. We are proud that this year’s lineup includes 87 women filmmakers–the most in our 28-year history and more than 47% of our total programming! Their voices will be represented everywhere in the festival, including our first-ever international shorts program completely directed by women, and other programs like the inaugural ‘Sunshine & Swampland: New Florida Shorts’ and the triumphant return of ‘Sunspots: New Visions of the Avant-Garde.’”
Some highlights in the program include:
- Opening Night Film Woman in Motion, a documentary about Nichelle Nichols, the actress who played Lt. Uhura in the original Star Trek TV series.
- Spotlight Films All is True, Her Smell, Them That Follow, and The Tomorrow Man.
- Narrative Competition Films Greener Grass, Ms. White Light, and The Garden Left Behind.
- Documentary Competition Films One Child Nation and Roll Red Roll.
- International Showcase Films Slut in a Good Way and Granny Poetry Club.
- Midnight Features In Fabric and Knife + Heart.
- Special Event “An Evening with the Blair Witch: A 20th Anniversary Celebration” featuring a 35mm screening of The Blair Witch Project and a post-film Q&A with cast and crew.
The full lineup can be found at https://www.floridafilmfestival.com/films/.
The Florida Film Festival runs April 12-21, 2019 in Orlando, FL. Be on the lookout for more great FFF coverage from POPAXIOM!